#1 11-03-2014 15:04:20

Maria_mkbb

Tinnius from ear syringing

Hi thomas my name is maria and I got my tinnitus almost a month from now by a doctor using syringing to remove my earwax. first it was just my right ear but after 2 weeks my left ear got affected too , and now it's hard for me to sleep at night. I have anxiety attack all the time. I work in a loud car factory for 3 years now and I do believe that using ear plugs everyday is the reason why I have a ear wax block in my right ear that leads me to the hospital to take it. I have no idea that this piece of object will change my life forever. I've been thinking of quitting my job because I m so scared that it will trigger  my tinnitus more . please I really need your advice if I should quit now or not. We have protective ear plugs but the more I avoid loud noises the more chances I can lessen my tinnitus. by the way,  My family is still in denial that I have tinnitus since my Doctor is still looking for a ENT doctor and until now i'm still waiting for my appointment.  My family and friends are only making me depress more by saying it's not tinnitus but I know deep inside it is. Its almost a month and the vibration is still there sometimes it's loud specially at night. I really need your advice. have a good day

#2 11-03-2014 19:05:53

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: Tinnius from ear syringing

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the forum.

You shouldn't blame yourself for the circumstances how your tinnitus developed. Some people are more prone to tinnitus than others (without knowing it) and there are many causes that can trigger it. Had it not been the syringing it could have been something else like loud noises, stress or some medication.

You should still be using ear plugs at work, but you should use some ear drops once a month or so, to prevent ear wax from building up again (I can recommend Otex ear drops for this, if you are not in the UK, ask for any ear drops containing hydrogen peroxide).

You shouldn't change your whole life because of this. It may be a nuisance at the moment, especially at night, but it is not dangerous in any way, and in a few months time it will be much less of a problem.

For the time being, try whether taking a few painkillers (Paracetamol (Tylenol in the US) or Aspirin) for a couple of days can tone the tinnitus down somewhat.
Otherwise, avoid caffeine and alcohol at the moment, as these tend to aggravate the ear ringing,

Thomas

#3 12-03-2014 18:46:22

Joe Zaffiro

Re: Tinnius from ear syringing

Hi Maria-
I have been dealing with tinnitus for 2 months now. The first month was hell. Especially at night. I could not sleep without the help of an anti anxiety pill called Ativan. Although mine has calmed down a bit and I am sleeping better, it is still difficult to get used to. I use a noise machine at night to play the ocean or other noises to concentrate on. I'm finding it is starting to get quieter at times but then will flare up again. I've also been using hearing aid type white noise ear plugs if I feel I need them. I also feel it will be some time before I get accustomed to the noise and have felt depressed and anxious over this. Sometimes its easier for people to deal with when it creeps up on them slowly and the brain can adjust. It seems most of us on this forum have similar situations where it starts abruptly and it is difficult to adjust to. I also have started taking Ginkgo Biloba, a Zinc supplement and B12 vitamins and changing my diet to eat more fruits and veggies. Definetly no caffeine, alcohol, or chocolate.
Don't know  if this is helping or not but it is not as intense as it was. The first couple months are the worst. I still stress about it, but there are 60 million people just in the USA
alone dealing with it. Hopefully, someone will come up with a cure. In the mean time, you need to try to relax and let time help you out. We all feel your pain.

Joe

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19