#1 24-11-2013 23:47:06

Marie67

Tinnitus and Myringotomy

I had a myringotomy over a week ago and have had tinnitus ever since. I didn't have this before the procedure and it started immediately after it. My question is will this go away or am I stuck with this forever. I couldn't find to much information about myringotomy causing this but I know this is the case as I didn't have it before. Can this happen from trauma to the eardrum is another question? Please someone who has gotten tinnitus from a surgical procedure please tell me if it is permanent as I am in great distress. I did hear about this happening to another woman but I haven't been able to get ahold of her. I'm not going to bother and ask the doctor about this as he will tell me that is not what caused it and from what I know there is nothing to be done. I would like to hear from someone who had this procedure or who had tubes in ears and their ringing started immediately after. An question, is my ear permanently messed up? Please someone let me know as I am very distressed.

#2 25-11-2013 08:24:55

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: Tinnitus and Myringotomy

Hi Marie,

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this thread http://forum.mytinnitus.de/en/viewtopic.php?id=374 where pinkjody reported exactly the same problem. I am not sure whether she still follows this thread, but you could contact her directly if you want. You may also want to read my answer to her.

Thomas

#3 07-12-2013 22:33:13

Marie67

How could my cochlea have gotten damaged by the eardrum incision? I did read some published papers about phenol causing cochlea damage when put on the round window. How could the phenol have gotten into my ear from my eardrum? Wouldn't it have to have dripped into it? Can someone explain this to me. I've also heard about eardrum perforations causing tinnitus? Have you heard of this and how does this happen? Does the cochlea get damaged from the perforation? Please give me some insight into this. I contacted the person who had this also happen but didn't get to much information. I'm thinking the anesthetic caused this and that I have been permanently damaged? Has this happened to anyone else or suspected that it happened? If tinnitus stops does that mean that your cochlea nerve is dead or dying therefor eliminating the sound of the buzzing. Is tinnitus electrical impulses that keep bouncing or repeating?

#4 08-12-2013 21:57:11

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Marie,

Your cochlea is definitely not damaged. Eardrum perforations can cause tinnitus because it may lead to a pressure change in the middle-ear, which throws the hearing system out of balance, creating the tinnitus in the process. Nothing has happened to the cochlea, it is only that the changed pressure in your ear confuses the corresponding areas in your brain that process the incoming signals, and they produce the tinnitus to counter-act these changes and re-balance the internal pressure in the hearing system.

Thomas

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19