#1 15-07-2013 17:00:09

Angelique

Two sounds coming from the right ear?

Hi Guys,

Don't know what time it is there but it's nearly 2 in the morning here.  I was asleep until it woke me again, a pulsating whoosing sound coming from my right ear on top of the loud hissing/high pitched sound.  I haven't read anything about having experienced two sounds at the same time.

It happened the other day (Sunday) around the same time.  I must have been only lightly sleeping because I do recall stretching my body to gain a comfortable position.  I heard a click in my head and then it started.  It woke me right away and I spent the next several hours trying to relax to go back to bed but that never happened. 

The other day I actually had a whole day where the noise just didn't appear to be there but the next day when I woke it was back again.  What's going on here?  Is this normal?  Can it stop and start up again?

Would someone out there be able to help me understand what's happening to me?  I am already having trouble concentrating, hearing over the noise and managing life in general.  I have read so much stuff about T and various attempts to reduce the intensity that I don't know what to think anymore. 

Angelique

#2 15-07-2013 23:09:24

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: Two sounds coming from the right ear?

Angelique,

It is not unusual that people hear two or more sounds, also that the sounds are absent on some days. Like I said already in the other thread, tinnitus is a nervous condition, and your nervous activity can be quite variable and unpredictable. Don't worry too much about it. Tinnitus may be a nuisance but is in 99% of the cases not related to anything dangerous. Of course, just to be on the safe side, you should have some checks done (which I understand you have already). If the pulsating sound persists for longer though, you may want to have some further tests done though, as this might require a different approach (see http://forum.mytinnitus.de/en/viewtopic.php?id=557 ).

Thomas

#3 10-04-2014 18:03:45

Alena

Member friends,

I happen to check in after a long while, as it's almost a year to the time Thomas had been unstinting with his help when I hounded him for solace. That passage of time was to me, one of the most horrendous, with the condition at its peak of frightfulness.  Thomas doesn't know me, yet allowed me to take up quite massive chunk of his time, so this is a man of humanity.

It also happened at a time when I encountered the callousness of the medical doctors who didn't regard tinnitus as something that warrants medical attention. One kept pointing out that I should appreciate that I have tinnitus instead of cancer and then refuse further discussion.

I've had to do quite a lot of rounds before I could get access to undergo the necessary scans.  The scans came clear, which I already expected, since I was sure it originated from a severe panic attack, that likewise, I could not get anyone to treat as they didn't take panic attacks seriously. Even after the scans (which I kept a copy for benchmarking purpose), the doctor believe one of the nerves near the ear has shifted (but no way to pinpoint this on the scan), rather than that it was nervous-system related.

I'm at the 18-month mark and still having whooshes in my right ear.  Now it occurs mostly at nights.  When I turn my head left/right, it will be there.  This is a marked improvement from when it first started, it literally pounded undyingly.

The head tinnitus, one that was incessantly eee-ing away, is still there.  But most of the time, because I get terribly busy day in and out, I would say that the head tinnitus is "out there somewhere" waiting to be heard, but I just don't have the time of day for it.  This is not a joke.  Whatever form of tinnitus, it has the capacity to cause extreme havoc psychologically.  I wasted a few months like this, then the demands on my time simply pull my attention left and right to many other matters of urgency, so it's probably been months to a year now that it couldn't make an impact.  Perhaps, like many do experience, the tinnitus may have reduce in tone.  Perhaps I have unwittingly undergone habituation. This would be a better deal of course.

In my case, both the tinnitus are definitely of nervous-origin.  My hearing is A-ok.  A pity the medical profession doesn't pursue tinnitus much in this way.  Touching on the nervous aspects, sure, there will be a few papers here and there, yet no dedicated pathways that would allow any real breakthroughs.  We're on our own in this, and on uncharted territory.

#4 12-04-2014 21:31:06

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Hi Alena,

It is good to hear that you seem to be dealing better now with the condition. It really is only a question of time. Habituation and actual reduction go hand in hand. The less you concentrate on it, the quicker the tinnitus loses it energy.

Thomas

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19