#1 05-01-2012 00:01:38

Tonyf

Survey: How did your tinnitus start

Tinnitus

Would anyone like to tell how their tinnitus started?

1) Did it come on gradually?
2) Was it during the daytime when you noticed it?
3) Did you wake up from a sleep to hear sounds in your head?
4) Were you in a accident?
5) Were you some place noisy when you got it?
6) Medications, were you taking any at the time?
7) Did other health issues cause your tinnitus?
8) Any other reasons why tinnitus started for you?

Myself it was number 4, Tinnitus started when I woke up one morning. I went to bed all happy and woke up in hell. That was over 4 months ago and my tinnitus is still going strong. I fight it everyday from the time I wake up to bedtime. Bedtime is the best time for me. I take Elavil to sleep and it does a good job on letting me sleep through out the night. Without it my tinnitus was waking me up several times during the night. I find my down times disturbing without having my mind focused on something tinnitus seems to take over. Its at these times I wish I had someone going through this that I could talk to.

Thanks

Tonyf

#2 05-01-2012 19:13:47

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: Survey: How did your tinnitus start

Tony,

As mentioned on  my web page (http://www.mytinnitus.de ) my tinnitus was caused by the use of in-ear headphones (earbuds) that came with my new walkman  At first I had only a pressure feeling in my ears from the use (which I always tended to get after using these for more than 15 min or so, even at low volume; that's why I normally tried to avoid them and used proper (open) headphones that don't seal the ear). This pressure feeling stayed about for a week (and I didn't use the walkman for this time), but when I used it then again (the pressure feeling had somewhat reduced), the tinnitus suddenly started, whilst the pressure feeling disappeared altogether (and it started also in the middle of the night, during sleep).

But in  most cases it isn't really that important how it actually developed. The strategy to reduce the tinnitus is pretty much the same in all cases. You just have to adjust it somewhat to your own particular requirements. And that comes mostly from experience i.e. it takes some time. Typically people get the situation better under control after about 6 months, so if the tinnitus is still going strong after 4 months, this would still be within this time frame (although you shouldn't consider it a fixed time frame; the situation can improve earlier but also later; it all depends on how long it takes your nervous system to adjust to the situation).

Thomas

#3 05-01-2012 22:31:40

Tonyf

Thomas,

Its more about learning the dramatic approach tinnitus has/had on someone that I'm looking for.
Myself I find I heal faster when I share my troubles with others. When I see someone who has it worst off it makes my problem seem all that much smaller. I've gone through many depression classes over my years and this is one way of dealing with it & healing.

Like me, I had no idea or ever heard the word tinnitus until 4 months ago. It was devastating waking up to this buzzing head, I really thought I was dying. Doctors just smiled at me and say learn to live with it. They made me feel like I was going crazy. Sure they ran all the test but in the end they shrugged their shoulders and pointed to the exit. This started me on educating myself about tinnitus. I've read just about every hit on tinnitus you can find on the web. although most sites refer to the same literature on tinnitus. I found some that were the opposite.

All I'm trying to do is let people get it off their shoulders all the pain they're feeling. Talking about it and letting go. You have given me hope that in time my tinnitus will be gone or bearable at least. What I have noticed is when people complain about tinnitus they don't come back when their feeling better. Their knowledge isn't shared on how long they had it, what Doctors did to help them and so on.

Up here in Canada (Toronto) its hard to even find any support groups or Doctors who even discuss the issue with you. Unless your willing to go to one of the paid places not covered by medical.

I'm like you I believe our nerves have a big roll in this and stress, depression, anxiety only feed it.

Tonyf

#4 07-01-2012 17:37:49

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Tony,

When doctors say "You have to learn to live with it", then this is easily misinterpreted. For most people this sounds as if it would never improve again, so they lose all hope and motivation. You could also say  "You have to learn to live with it" when somebody has a broken leg, because indeed you have to learn to live with it for about 6 weeks or so, until the healing process is complete It is in principle the same for tinnitus as well, only that it usually takes considerably longer (months or even years instead of weeks). But as for the broken leg, you also have to do your bit to provide the best conditions for the tinnitus to heal. You can not expect a broken leg to heal if you don't give it proper rest but continue to walk on it. If you provide the right conditions for the tinnitus to improve, then it will eventually. The difficulty is to figure out what the right conditions are in the individual case, because it can be very different from person to person as the state of the nervous system can be very different. You can only figure this out through your own experiences, and this takes time.

Thomas

#5 22-01-2015 19:03:20

pedro

Hello Tonyf:

These are my answers
1) Did it come on gradually? No. 
2) Was it during the daytime when you noticed it? No during night time
4) Were you in a accident?no
5) Were you some place noisy when you got it? no
6) Medications, were you taking any at the time? pain relief for muscles. My back and neck
7) Did other health issues cause your tinnitus? number 6.
8) Any other reasons why tinnitus started for you? No

#6 22-01-2015 21:13:42

Tonyf

Pedro Its been some time since I last spoke about tinnitus. From what I've read you seem to have similar problems to mine. I don't know what to say other than to find a doctor who is willing to heal any pain you have. Tinnitus and pain go side by side. Once you eliminate the pain you'll feel better but you will most likely still have Tinnitus. You just may not notice it as much because you are more involved in daily activities now that you're feeling good. I've had Tinnitus now for 3 1/2 years and I live a happy life with it. It didn't happen right away but over time I learned to live with my Tinnitus. Pedro you may have to deal with the fact that your Tinnitus may be with you the rest of your life. As for your back and neck that's up to a doctor to heal. If after seeing your family doctor and you still have pain then I suggest you get to another one. It was through the 2nd Doctor that I discovered the pinched nerves in my back. Stress is a big cause of tinnitus also hearing loss. You may not think you're stressed or you have hearing loss. The fact you're here on this site you are stressed. You're upset because you don't know what is happening to you or why. What I'm about to tell will start you down the road to recovery.

1) Get to your doctor and deal with any pain issues you have. The better you feel the less tinnitus has a hold of you.
2) Relax. I know this one is tough to do but the sooner you start to relax the less stressed you'll be. Less stress less tinnitus.
3) Go about your life the way you did before the tinnitus started. Start living again.
4) Almost impossible to do but give it a try. Stop thinking about it. The more you think about your tinnitus the more it will control you.
5) Seek out masking devices if needed. You can also look into retraining the brain. TRT check into on the internet. These are costly treatments and may not work for you. (I have not got to that point. I learned to live with my tinnitus).

Take care Pedro

Tonyf

pedro wrote:

Hello Tonyf:

These are my answers
1) Did it come on gradually? No. 
2) Was it during the daytime when you noticed it? No during night time
4) Were you in a accident?no
5) Were you some place noisy when you got it? no
6) Medications, were you taking any at the time? pain relief for muscles. My back and neck
7) Did other health issues cause your tinnitus? number 6.
8) Any other reasons why tinnitus started for you? No

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19