#1 27-12-2011 16:31:36

Tonyf

Pinched Lower back nerves

Hi All, This is my first post here. I would like to tell my story on how my tinnitus started.

Back in May of this year I was injured at work. My back was slammed and I had pain in the left shoulder, my neck, & upper back. After 2 weeks of physio I felt better but, started feeling pain in the right region of my waist and down into my right thigh. The pain grew to the point where in July my right leg was so painful I could not walk. Doctor had me do physio for a hamstring pull. Did this for 3 weeks but there was no improvement.

On Aug 22 I woke up with my head buzzing like someone had a vibrator on my head. I shook my head and the sound went down some.

On Sept 30 MRI confirmed I had 2 pinched nerves in lower back L5 - S1 were bulged and compressing the spinal cored. To this date were still trying to repair this area with physio.

During all of this time I've been to Ent because I was also having trouble with sinuses. ENT did hearing test after several treatment of meds failed to provide any relief both for my tinnitus or sinuses. After sending me to a allergist they want to blame the tinnitus on hearing loss and the fact that I'm allergic to cats. Have been living with cats for 21 years. Hearing test showed loss of hearing above 8000hz. both ears.

I believe that stress has caused a lot of my problems. Not knowing what was wrong with me back in July. In Aug the pain was so great that I was taking pain killers regularly. Could not sleep because of the pain. Then on Aug 22 when I woke up to the buzzing and my world all caved in. I went into depression and ended up as a out patient at a hospital. I started reading forums about tinnitus. I stopped drinking coffee and other items that caused tinnitus to increase. I've been to several Doctors and all of them just look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about my tinnitus.

Conclusion: I'm still trying to recover from the pinched nerves in my lower back. I return to drinking coffee because of withdrawal stress. I take Elavil pills at bedtime to help me sleep and they seem to work well. I still wake up every morning to sounds in my head. I find they don't bother me as much as they did back in the summer. Still I believe once I get this pain with the pinched nerves resolved that my tinnitus will go away. I've got my fingers crossed. And screw what the doctors say, DON'T JUST LIVE WITH IT. Find your way of controlling tinnitus. Learn how to control pain and stress.

#2 30-12-2011 19:25:41

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: Pinched Lower back nerves

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

From what you are writing, I would rather think that the tinnitus was caused by the painkillers. Many drugs (not just painkillers) can cause tinnitus when taken over longer periods in sufficiently high dosages. The hearing loss is most likely only an apparent one because with the tinnitus you can't hear the test tone any more at higher frequencies. When the tinnitus subsides (which it should gradually), the tests should return a normal result again.

Thomas

#3 31-12-2011 00:27:58

Tonyf

Thomas wrote:

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

From what you are writing, I would rather think that the tinnitus was caused by the painkillers. Many drugs (not just painkillers) can cause tinnitus when taken over longer periods in sufficiently high dosages. Thee hearing loss is most likely only an apparent one because with the tinnitus you can't hear the test tone any more at higher frequencies. When the tinnitus subsides (which it should gradually), the tests should return a normal result again.

Thomas

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

Here is some info about how my tinnitus started.

Meds.

Yes pills have been one of my concerns. Here is how my tinnitus started. Back in Aug I was taking a muscle relaxant a long with extra strength advil. The advil was taken 3 x a day at 400 mg each dose for a total of 1200 mg in a 24 hour period. This was done over 12 days. As for the relaxant it was not listed as a tinnitus inducing drug.  I stopped taking all drugs that can induce tinnitus.

Noise

In the early days of Aug I had a alarm system installed in the home. Alarm is 110 db, and was tested while my wife and I were still in the home. It ran for about 5 to 10 minutes. Just over 2 weeks later I woke up with a strong buzzing feeling in my head. After shaking my head the buzzing quite down some but never left. With in days I went for a hearing test at Listen up Canada. They do the test for free and send the results to any Doctor. $80.00 if you want the results for yourself. Second test was just done in December by my ENT results were almost the same. For years I have worked in subway driving trains.

Anxiety

From May until my tinnitus started in Aug I have been in great pain. The cause was unknown until Sept 30 which a MRI revealed 2 pinched nerves in my lower back. During the months of July and August I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating, shaking, rapid heart beat, and clenching of teeth. Had TMJ tested, Hearing tested, and was treated at the hospital over a 3 week period for stress. I refused to take any meds as I was scared that my body chemistry was out of whack. Now I only take meds that are safe and don't hurt the ears.

Sinus

If I already didn't have enough on my plate. Also during Aug I ran into some sinus trouble. The morning that I woke up with tinnitus I was experiencing sinusitis. ENT tried everything to get it under control. End result was to blame the cat. Been living with cats for 55 years. Still have nasal swelling but the sinus finally cleared. ENT claims tinnitus caused by hearing loss, learn to live with it.

As you can see many things could have cause the tinnitus. What I do know is that worrying about the tinnitus makes it worst. What I'm doing is going back to my old ways. Things like drinking coffee & beer, and eating foods that I like to eat and enjoying life. The only thing I am doing different now is using ear plugs when using loud items like the vacuum, snow blower, when at work or loud places.

I know it's hard to do at first but we need to stop thinking about the tinnitus and tune our minds to somthing else. In time it will be just another part of your day. Like wearing your clothes or rings. They're there only if you think about them.

As I'm writing this I can hear the buzzing in my head but I have a smile on my face.smile

Happy New Years.

Tonyf

#4 31-12-2011 16:05:50

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Tony,

Yes, in many cases there are several potential causes or triggers for the tinnitus, and in retrospect it is not really possible to pinpoint the main culprit (in some cases it could even be a combination of causes). The cause might now be pretty much irrelevant anyway, because once it has been triggered, the tinnitus can maintain itself through a kind of acoustic feedback mechanism in the nervous system, even if the cause does not exist anymore. This is why it takes so long before this nervous disposition loses its momentum and dies down again. And even though I understand your wish to lead a normal life without any restrictions, the point is that one can affect the nervous system favorably in this respect to a certain degree by appropriate measures like avoiding certain foods or drinks for a while. It may not apply to everyone, but I just wanted to mention it again in case of the situation not improving or even deteriorating. Of course, like you said, making the tinnitus the center of your life can make things only worse, so one has to strike some compromise here. Only personal experience can show what the best compromise is in the individual case, and that can take several months.

To you a Happy New Year as well (don't forget your ear plugs in case you attend some fireworks tonight).

Thomas

#5 22-01-2015 18:56:58

pedro

Hello Tony :
I am living almost exacty the same case that you experienced.
I have no idea what to do?
Can you let me know anyupdate on your case?
I am visiting a quiropractic once a week but not expeiencing any improvement. Took a 20 days holidays on the beach and nothing happen....
Please let me know if you found any way the feel better.
Thanks

Pedro

#6 23-01-2015 20:53:13

Tonyf

pedro wrote:

Hello Tony :
I am living almost exacty the same case that you experienced.
I have no idea what to do?
Can you let me know anyupdate on your case?
I am visiting a quiropractic once a week but not expeiencing any improvement. Took a 20 days holidays on the beach and nothing happen....
Please let me know if you found any way the feel better.
Thanks

Pedro

I've replied to you in another post.

Just keep going until all pain is gone. You'll feel better and as you feel better the tinnitus may not bother you as much. You have to realize that tinnitus has no cure unless there is a underlining problem that can be dealt with by doctors. In most cases tinnitus is caused by hearing loss. Its very important that you get yourself into a daily routine and continue on with your life. Even if you think you are stress free you most likely you are not. Once the body gets into this state it takes a long time to revert back. Work with your doctors and tell them what hurts even if its the tinnitus.

I live with my tinnitus every day and have been doing so over many years. That's the magic you want. Learn to live with it. Don't let tinnitus ruin your day. Wake up in the morning smile and get on with your day. You'll enjoy living again. On bad days Thomas has posted several things that will help you. I take a Tylenol.

Take Care

Tonyf

#7 30-01-2015 19:25:47

Care1902

Tony, get the chiropractor to pop your neck. This should relieve the back discomfort. I get relief from back pain every time my husband pops my neck; he learned it from a chiropractor. Let me know how this does.

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19