#1 26-05-2008 20:46:15

jobo8080

Air pressure

Hi Thomas,  Thank you for this forum.  It helps to answer some of my questions.  I was wondering if the change in weather effects us who have tinnitus?  My ears feel funny on rainy days and even hot days.  Also I have read in your forum that non-alcoholic beer could work.  Well,  I tried it and the first time I did have a glass of wine for dinner and then I drank one of those beers.  It did not influence my T( I read about you mentioning to not drink alcohol first).  The next night I tried it again and it seemed to work. My T was lower in the morning.  But the next couple of nights it really didn't change much.  My question is: Why would non work any better than regular beer?  Or is it that you don't want to promote drinking?  Just wondering.  Thanks Jodi

#2 27-05-2008 18:38:24

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: Air pressure

Hi Jodi,

Yes, the weather can have quite an effect on the tinnitus. Usually, people have more problems during the winter months (or at any rate during bad weather). This is probably simply a psychological effect as the nerves are more stressed during these times (and tinnitus usually gets worse through stress of any kind).

Regarding the beer: the point is that regular beer (and obviously also wine) contains alcohol, and alcohol is generally bad for your tinnitus as it agitates your nervous system (so it would probably counteract any beneficial constituents that may be otherwise in the beer).

I would recommend to completely avoid alcohol (as well as caffeine) if possible (at least you should try it for a few weeks and see how it affects your tinnitus).

Thomas

#3 27-05-2008 23:34:45

jobo8080

Thomas, I thought alcohol being a depressant would slow the nervous system down causing you to be more relaxed.  I have tried both.  I said before that I noticed the effects on the second night with the non-beer but each consecutive night no more effects.  When I drink a beer it does seem to relax me but no effect either way.  How often should a person drink the non-beer?  I'm just trying to get a handle on this tinnitus.  I can't seem to cope very well with life right now.  I have tried many things so far and pretty much nothing.  Do you still have your T and for how long?

#4 28-05-2008 18:21:11

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Jodi,

Alcohol is only a depressant in larger quantities. In smaller ones (or after the effect of the large quantity wears off) it is stimulating (see this link). Many people for instance report that their tinnitus is reduced after a few glasses of wine in the evening, but in the next morning it is then even worse than normally.

I discovered the positive effect of alcohol-free beer only after I have been avoiding caffeine and alcohol for quite a while, so it could well be that it does not work otherwise (because as I said, even the occasional consumption of nerve stimulants might interfere with any calming effect).
For me, just one can of alcohol-free beer used to calm down the tinnitus for a couple of days, so I really didn't have to drink a lot of it. When I discovered the effect, my tinnitus was anyway already so much improved (thanks partially to the occasional painkiller I used to take in the early phase) that I only used to buy alcohol-free beer during periods when my tinnitus was somewhat more agitated (e.g. due to stress), and it promptly improved then again.

I have my tinnitus now for over 7 years, but it has been progressively improving all the time. It hasn't  been a problem anymore at all for the last few years, and it is now so weak (just a faint hissing) that it is only noticeable in a quiet room. I expect it to vanish eventually completely, but I am not pushing it  (which wouldn't work anyway),  because as I said, I am not having any problems with it anymore.

Thomas

#5 11-04-2011 04:20:25

Fivestewarts

Thomas wrote:

Jodi,

Alcohol is only a depressant in larger quantities. In smaller ones (or after the effect of the large quantity wears off) it is stimulating (see this link). Many people for instance report that their tinnitus is reduced after a few glasses of wine in the evening, but in the next morning it is then even worse than normally.

I discovered the positive effect of alcohol-free beer only after I have been avoiding caffeine and alcohol for quite a while, so it could well be that it does not work otherwise (because as I said, even the occasional consumption of nerve stimulants might interfere with any calming effect).
For me, just one can of alcohol-free beer used to calm down the tinnitus for a couple of days, so I really didn't have to drink a lot of it. When I discovered the effect, my tinnitus was anyway already so much improved (thanks partially to the occasional painkiller I used to take in the early phase) that I only used to buy alcohol-free beer during periods when my tinnitus was somewhat more agitated (e.g. due to stress), and it promptly improved then again.

I have my tinnitus now for over 7 years, but it has been progressively improving all the time. It hasn't  been a problem anymore at all for the last few years, and it is now so weak (just a faint hissing) that it is only noticeable in a quiet room. I expect it to vanish eventually completely, but I am not pushing it  (which wouldn't work anyway),  because as I said, I am not having any problems with it anymore.

Thomas

Which painkiller did you use that helped in your early years, Which is where I am now?  Is their a regimen that you have been following to get your gradual improvement?  thanks,  Mark Stewart (Fivestewarts)

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19