#11 30-09-2010 05:23:52

mozartmind
Website

Re: tinnitus and Neurontin or Lyrica

Hi, I am new to this forum and find it interesting and helpful to know I am not alone in the hell of tinnitus.  I call it screaming ears.  I do know that mine is not caused by the ears but the brain noise within the 20 -20,000 HZ frequency being sent through the auditory cortex. Mine started at about 800 HZ and is now well above 15,000 HZ and rising over time.  I've done a lot of research.  At this moment I am experiencing high pitched screaming in both ears that I can hear above a vacuum cleaner, but it does vary in a three to four day cycle, going from the right to both to the left at varying volumes. 

I also looked into Kevin Hogan and read the book and found it poorly written and very poorly referenced.  He would quote studies that do not exist.   I even bought the CDs of his tinnitus program and found them to be worthless fantasy stories that were next to garbage.  Donald Duck cartoons would be better therapy than the CDs.  Live and learn. 

I looked into TRT as well, not sure on that.  The problem with TRT or Kevin's so-called program is that tinnitus often goes away on its own over time as the cause fades.  But I have had it since July 2007 and it got worse to near consistent over time, starting like a loud dial tone then has been increasing in pitch over the years and months.  I am hoping it will get so high pitched that it will go beyond the brains ability to interpret its own signal as sound.

These links may be helpful:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 072126.htm

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chi … ?id=167184

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/tinnitus

#12 30-09-2010 20:04:47

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Hi Mozartmind,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your experiences.

As regards the fact that your tinnitus has been getting worse over the years: it could well be that it has been aggravated by something. For instance, hoovering always aggravated my own tinnitus in the first few years unless I used earplugs. Motor noises of any sort can be quite bad as they contain a lot of high frequencies that can aggravate the tinnitus. In such situations I would always protect my ears with earplugs

By the way, are you sure about the 15000 Hz. Most people would not really hear this properly anymore, and if you go to http://www.tinnitool.com/en/tinnitus_an … ertest.php , you can see that the test chart only goes to 11000 Hz (this chart is to determine your own frequency, just click the corresponding point and compare with your own tinnitus tone).

Thomas

#13 01-10-2010 01:17:09

mozartmind
Website

Hi Thomas, thanks for the response.  I probably should clarify.  My tinnitus reached a peak in volume about six months after it started July 2004, only the pitch has changed since. 

I have done tests using a tone generator on a Sydney AU website.  My tinnitus had and still has a variation of period over a period of three to six day cycles that would start lower in the right ear dominate and then go higher as it moves to the left dominate, then a quiet day, relatively speaking, then the cycle repeats itself. 

In the beginning the low pitch was quite low and the high about that of a standard telephone dial tone, but very loud.  I tracked it using the online tone generator and after the high pitch day went above about 10K or 11K April 2009 I quit.  I am guessing on the 15K pitch because of the linear progression over time based on the tracking.  This is subjective, but all I have.

The lower pitch is now about 10K or maybe lower.  Now at peak pitch the tinnitus is as much intensity of energy as it is sound volume because it almost goes beyond the brain's ability to interpret the noise.  The highest pitch is not really a tone anymore, but more of a sense of intense energy that produces a sonic echo of sorts. It is kind of fascinating in a morbid sort of way. I have a science research background and tend to analyze a lot and use the "Scientific Method" on this. Probably saved me from going insane.

At beginning normal external sounds would intensify or diminish the tinnitus for a few minutes but since the pitch is now so high in frequency, both pitches, no external noise impacts it, or masks it.  My hope is that in time the pitch will go beyond the brain's ability to interpret it and I now have some evidence it may just do that. 

I am skeptical on the TRT simply because the tinnitus on those using TRT may have gone away, anyway.  Also, some of their research is questionable and some of their assumptions are just that, assumptions.  I am a believer that only a tinnitus suffer can objectively conduct research on tinnitus in regards to assumptions, i.e. volume and its impact upon the sufferer, etc.  Also, some of the studies used in reference were second rate and outdated, dating back to 1949 if I remember correctly.

Martin

#14 03-10-2010 16:14:45

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Martin,

I think the theoretical assumptions of TRT regarding the nature of tinnitus are essentially correct, but as you indicated yourself, the therapeutical measures of TRT are not so much different to what anybody with some common sense and information about tinnitus would probably apply to his/her daily life anyway. So I think there is not so much to gain from TRT for most people. Probably only for those who absolutely can not manage to get to grips with the condition on their own.

By the way, I have a science research background as well (physics), but right now I am working as web developer.

Thomas

#15 03-10-2010 19:19:52

mozartmind
Website

Thanks Thomas, how ironic, I do web sites but I do my own as a hobby, I am much retired now at 61.  I also do creative writing and working on a novel when the noise is not so LOUD!  I have two web sites. 

One called www.niftyfifties.net (All Fifties, all the Time).  I am a fifties but since it was my childhood decade.   The other www.themuseroom.com (My personals space on the web).

I have started over with a different flavor than I had before on the sits.  Thanks again, and may someday the force be with us and push this noise out.  Martin

#16 23-10-2010 12:50:54

vic

Dear friends, thanks for sharing yr experiences. I Googled "Onion and Tinnitus" and ONION JUICE is given importance for cure (3 drops a WEEK!). Has anybody tried it. I am very cautious because the hissing is very loud and I do not want anything to possibly make it worse, even though it is said there should be no side effects

#17 24-10-2010 03:19:00

mozartmind
Website

Hi Vic, no, I have not heard of onion juice for tinnitus.  Question:  Does one put drops into the ear or?   If just in the ear than it does not seem logical, especially if the tinnitus is brain generated such as mine is rather than ear generated due to ear damage, a significant difference.  But it does not seem logical in either case.  But I could be wrong, would not be the first time.  Good luck and hope someday we, you, can be free of it.  University of Chicago claims that sometimes tinnitus is a passing phase during the aging process if it is brain generated, or could be arterial sclerosis, bad news.   

Martin

#18 24-10-2010 10:05:53

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Hi Vic,

The use of onion juice has actually been suggested in this forum as well (see the last paragraph of the post by alexman on http://forum.mytinnitus.de/en/viewtopic … d=594#p594 ). It also was mentioned already on one or two of my old forum pages (see the post by M.M. about halfway down the page http://www.mytinnitus.de/forum.htm ).

I any case, I think it is fair to say that such a claim is a myth. Tinnitus is a nervous condition that has to do with signal processing in the brain, or at best the inner ear. Anything put into the ear canal would not get past the ear drum, so there is no way this could have any effect on whatever causes the tinnitus. The only possibility that if your tinnitus is caused by ear wax on you ear drum, then onion juice could help to remove this and thus also the tinnitus. In the vast majority of cases though there are no ear wax problems (if it were, your doctor would have discovered this already in the first place).

Thomas

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19