#1 15-03-2010 16:16:04

twistedgrip

tinnitus and Neurontin or Lyrica

Hi: I am new here. I have suffered for 2 years with tinnitus due to I believe an NSAID. ENT said high frequency hearing loss causing tinnitus. It has been a daily struggle. xanax,ativan work great for the anxiety. I tried the SSRIs didn't like.T has gotten louder in past week. debilitating!! I have found recently that drinking 2-3 beers at night lowers my tinnitus. My question is would Neurontin or Lyrica be worth a try at low dose? Do they work on the nerves like the beer does? Has anyone tried these drugs with any success?

Mark

#2 15-03-2010 21:05:50

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Re: tinnitus and Neurontin or Lyrica

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't quite understand though why you would consider some questionable drugs as alternatives to harmless substances like beer (especially if you drink alcohol-free beer). Even the occasional painkiller (Paracetamol or Aspirin), which worked very well for me to reduce the tinnitus, would be very much preferable to drugs that are likely to get you addicted and may have other unwanted side effects.

Thomas

#3 16-03-2010 07:11:15

Edmund Kean

Mark

How long have you been on Xanax?

Edmund

#4 16-03-2010 13:12:31

twistedgrip

Hi: I have been taking xanax on an as needed basis. I went a year off of it. PCP gave it to me in the beginning of the onset of the tinnitus 2 years ago. I had no idea what was happening to me and the anxiety was brutal.The otoneurologist in Boston Mass eye and ear prescribed me ativan for sleep which helped,but now am trying to taper because it is not working and I don't want to increase. I was on Cipro again for a UTI last week and I think that may have triggered the tinnitus becoming worse.I am back to where i was 2 years ago and it is crippling me. I can't function normally and the noise is consuming me. I quess I am looking for something to calm the nerves which would bring down the volume like maybe a low dose of neurontin. I haven't tried the nonalcoholic beer. Not being able to function on a daily basis is a huge problem and is affecting my life in a bad way.

Mark

#5 17-03-2010 07:18:42

Edmund Kean

Can you express how bad your tinnitus is?

For instance can it be heard above a television set to a normal listening volume?

Is the tinnitus a particular tone or is it(as mine can occassionally be)a sort of 'awareness of existing' - ie not being able to quite put your finger on the noise.

Edmund

#6 18-03-2010 16:22:49

twistedgrip

Hi Edmund:

My tinnitus is a piercing hiss now. It started as a hissing and was up and down over the 2 years but constantly there. Within the last week it graduated to a piercing hiss. Hard to sit and watch tv. I am constantly up and down restless and anxious. I am currently back to seeing ENT and med docs as well as a psychiatric nurse to see how to calm me down.Daily struggle.

Mark

#7 18-03-2010 22:02:50

twistedgrip

Hi:

My Med doc wants me to try wellbutrin xl for anxiety. The drug is for depression,not anxiety and one of the side effects is tinnitus.Ha. I am not taking it. My audiologist is having me try hearing aids on a trial basis to see if hissing will calm down with them as I have high frequency hearing loss. We'll see how that goes. I see my Psych nurse on tuesday. Maybe i won't need her if the hearing aids help. wishful thinking. I am sick of going to doctors. Trying herbs like hops and passionflower,vincopetine see what happens

Mark

#8 19-03-2010 07:13:20

Edmund Kean

Mark

Have a read of Kevin Hogan's website, you might find some encouraging material there.  Amongst other things, he advocates the use of Xanax over a period of three months or more and indeed has some other useful ideas which you may want to try yourself.

http://www.kevinhogan.com/FAQ.htm

Regards

Edmund

#9 20-03-2010 16:17:04

Thomas
Administrator
Website

Hi Edmund,

Yes, Kevin Hogan's website seems encouraging, but don't forget that he is essentially a sales person that you can even hire to promote anything you like (see http://www.kevinhogan.net/ ). I quote for instance from his biography (http://www.kevinhogan.com/biography.htm ) : "Kevin Hogan is the author of nineteen books. He is best known for his international best selling book, The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking." In this case, it is quite obvious that he wants to sell his book/CDs and his teleconsulting sessions.

I am not saying this is a scam, and indeed some of his views regarding tinnitus coincide with my own, but then again, you would not necessarily need to couple this information to the products and services he is offering against money.

The following statement regarding the Kevin Hogan website, which I found in another forum, probably brings it to the point:

you really need to thoroughly check out the website you linked to in the first post in this thread.  I do not think I have ever encountered such an unabashed medical entrepreneur in my entire life.  Now you've read his book.  Fine.  I assume that you purchased the book because you wanted to become more informed.  And you are now more informed.  But are you better informed?  Well that really depends upon the quality of the information in the book.  Is it good information - or is it MISinformation?  Let's leave the answer to that aside and instead simply admit what you do know - and that is that you are really not in a position to know whether or not it's good information.  Right?  So now you wonder whether or not it will be worth it to pay the medical entrepreneur $250 for an hour of his time on the telephone.  What do we know?  Well, we know that it's pretty unusual for a health care professional to sell an hour of telephone contact.  And what don't we know?  We don't know if it will be worth it.  So, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask!  Kevin Hogan tells you in essence that before you spend some REAL money on something else, you ought to spend $250 on him.  (As if $250 were chump change!)  So before you do that, why don't you ask Kevin Hogan in what ways you can legitimately expect to be better off after spending a single hour on the telephone with him.  And then you need to get a feel for (1) whether or not he's yanking you around, (2) whether what he says he can accomplish in one single hour is worth $250, and (3) if you think that after that one single $250 hour this medical entrepreneur is going to recommend another $250 hour and another ... and another ... and another after that.

Thomas

#10 20-03-2010 18:49:19

twistedgrip

Hi again:

I have surfed the web for 2 years about tinnitus. I saw kevin hogans site and alot of other scams. My ENT suggested TRT. I understand it works for some but not others. Anyone done TRT? Costly?I believe what Thomas says about nerves.When I get nervous and thinking about it,the T gets worse but it's a catch 22.How do you relax with teapot going off in your head 24/7. Hearing aids may be helping. I'm working with the audiologist .she is slowly raising the level to let the brain get used to hearing the lost frequencies. baby steps

Mark

Board footer

Based on PunBB 1.2.19